Jessica's Adventures in the Philippines

....................................................................................................................................................

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Putting It All Together


Ah, guys, I'm so sorry for being horrible about posting during my last week!  I started writing this post Monday, but now it's Friday...Things just keep happening so fast!  But at the same time...Sunday couldn't come sooner!  I can't wait to be on that plane home :)

THIS is Week 12.  Last week.  I have finally (almost) completed the internship I had been anticipating since my freshman year of college.  !!  Oh my goodness, I'm a senior.  Wow.  Okay.  I'll think about that one later.

Let me break down the week for you:

Oral Presentation (Sunday)
Things didn't go according to plan and I definitely got really nervous and had to keep reminding myself, "If this is happening, it's God's will so just go with the flow; go with the flow; it's okay, just do it..." etc, etc.  And...the presentation went really smoothly :)  People affirmed my research, which was encouraging because I had not really received any affirmation these past three months and I was starting to wonder if what I was doing really mattered to the congregation (I think most of them didn't really know what I was doing).  Thank you all for your prayers--they were heard and God granted!  If you could be praying for my second presentation this coming Sunday (yes, the day I leave) with just the leaders of the church that would be much appreciated :)

Despedida (Saturday--sorry I'm going backward...)
The young people at church threw me a surprise despedida (farewell party)!  And my goodness was I surprised!  I had been sitting at home all day writing letters and papers and suches and thinking and praying about my presentation--nothing leading up to this party screamed "surprise party."  Up until the moment they yelled "surprise!" I was still confused.  We played games, sang songs, watched a slideshow, ate food (of course) and I was quite in shock by it all and very touched by their thoughtfulness.  It definitely gave me courage in preparation for my oral presentation, knowing that they would be there.



St. Francis Square (Sunday--fast-forward)
After my presentation, lunch, and some afternoon activities at church, six of us piled into a car and drove to Manila to shop :D


Monday 
Blood test (pre-cautionary) - tested positive for typhoid - no symptoms - but I'm on antibiotics now... haha.  Got a hair cut...said goodbye and thank you to all the barangay captains...

Tuesday
Went to San Pablo to visit my translator's home and meet her parents.  We had a delicious meal of various rice cakes and fruit and then headed off to Liliw (the shoe capital of Luzon) yeah!!!  :D  And we ate at this tiny restaurant (everything in it is small :D) and visited a really old underground cemetery.



Wednesday
Traveled to Quezon City to visit Samaritana (a ministry to women who have left the life of prostitution) and then shopped at SM Fairview...hm.  Lots of shopping this week..

Thursday
Met a friend and we out for pedicures.  Nice.  :)  Went to her favorite coffee shop; she graded tests and I wrote a paper.  Attended my last SVCF fellowship large group meeting.  The group surprised me with a nice card signed by all, prayed for me, and then a number of them walked me home :)

I'll post again before Sunday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment